The past 2 nights Dave and I have been teaching Carson how to fall asleep on his own. It's been a hard thing to do, but we aren't getting any sleep at night, so we are attempting the "Ferberizing" technique. Carson learned how to fall asleep on his own at 8 weeks old. As the flu season went on, Carson was sick numerous times, needing mom and dad to come and save him in the middle of the night. Well, it became a routine and so he wakes up and cries until mom and dad comes to get him. The first night was hard. He would cry and I would get up with him after 5 minutes and go and comfort him but not pick him up. Then after 10 minutes I would go in and comfort him and leave again. Usually he would fall asleep again before the 10 minute mark. He would wake up a lot though and cry for a bit then go back to sleep. Last night was worse. He knew what he was in for. He got so upset that he would stand up and cry in his crib. He started to gag and so I gave him a hug, which settled him down and layed him down on his back. He then threw up from crying so hard and started to choke on his own throw up. It went everywhere. We had to change his sheets and his pj's...not to mention my pj's. I picked him up and started hitting his back because he was choking so hard. He started to cry again and I knew that he was okay. It was scary. So we changed his bed sheets and his pj's and then attempted to start over again. I didn't want to. I wanted to quit and go get his carseat and forget the whole ferberizing thing.Yet, I knew we had to keep pressing forward. We calmed him down and put him back into his crib. This video tells you the rest of the story. It's hilarious! He fell asleep standing up. It was so cute. Keep wishing us luck. Sorry that the video is so dark. It's not that way on our camera or computer, but when we uploaded it onto youtube it went really dark. He keeps dozing off! It's so precious. We were laughing so hard. He would fall asleep and start slipping off the edge of the crib. We put him on his back after and he slept the rest of the night because he was so tired!
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
okay that video is so cute. Good luck...you will be so glad once you have made it past the hard part.
I know it is hard, but just keep at it. Carson is so dang cute:]
Again, all of these fun phases we get to go through.
BTW, thanks for saying I don't look old enough to be a Aunt of an 18 yr old. U r too nice!!
Oh, that is too funny? (and cute) I really do wish you luck with that. Sarah slept with us until 10 months because we were wusses, but we learned out lesson and now Steven always sleeps in his crib. It's so nice once they learn, but hearing them cry is hard.
Good luck!
cute!! I know how you feel...it sucks!! Cole has had a much harder time than Malia did - I think mostly because they have to share a room so they wake each other up. But anyway, it is totally worth it in the end if they can figure out how to calm themselves down. Than they won't end up being little wuses when they get older! =)
Post a Comment