I thought that I would take a minute to do what I do best. Whine. As you all know, I would LOVE to be a full-time stay at home mom. I am envious of all of you who get to do that. This Park family though, we don't have that luxury. I have to say though, that I am very happy that I only have to work two days a week instead of full-time. I get to be with my baby boy 5 days out of the week.
My schedule is 6:30 am to 3 pm on Mondays and Tuesdays. I am on-call Tuesday and Friday nights from 11 pm to 7 am the next morning. I am also on-call every 5th Saturday or Sunday, whichever weekend day they decide to put me on. As much as I don't work, I feel that I am always there.
Well, my point to all of this is....I HATE CALL!! Last night I was there from 11 pm to 5:30 am. I was awake for 24 hours! I am so tired....I probably shouldn't be blogging at 10:30 pm on the night before Thanksgiving, which I'm on-call all day tomorrow...like I said, I hate it. It makes me really unhappy. This past Friday night I was on-call, but I had a guy I work with take it for me and he was there from 12 am to 7 am, so if I hadn't had him take my call, I would've had two nights of endless hell. I am so grateful for Kevin for taking that shift. I just can't wait until Dave makes enough for me not to work.
I guess I have to look at it as a rewarding job to keep me from exploding. I see the patient come back and how much pain they are in and I am so happy to know that I helped better that person's life. I don't think the patients realize how much the Surgical Tech does. I was holding someone's dead bowel last night while I assisted the surgeon doing a bowel resection. I helped on a Carotid Endarterectomy 2 weeks ago on call! Talk about awesome...yet the stress and tiredness of the job has me worn down and has left me with no more enthusiasam. I did a 22 hour shift when I was 8 months pregnant. At 4 in the morning I was bawling because some equipment we had wasn't working and the surgeon was getting frustrated, but when he found out how long I'd been there, he was very nice about everything. Surgeons....they're fun. :)
I am just happy that I have a husband who is patient enough to let me b---- and moan about my job. Sorry everyone...I feel better now that I've admitted hating working.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Chris, you are awesome! I think your job is so fascinating, Although being on call would be hard and tiring. Blogging is a great way to "vent!" VENT all you want. Your full time days of being home with be here soon. Let me know when you need anything! Happy Turkey Day!!
I don't work as much as you, and my job isn't nearly as stressful(or rewarding) but I can sympathize. I had to decide I'd only work three days a week instead of doing a little every day because it drove me nuts to always having it hanging over me. I'm sorry about you always being on call, that would be hard.
Just think, some day our hubbies will be rich and we can have play dates whenever we want. :-)
Sorry that you have to work through the night and stay up for 24 hours. I'm not going to lie that just sucks. I think that you are such an incedible woman and you do amazing things. I hope that one day your wish will come true! Your a great wife, mom, and just about the best friend I have! Love you! Keep going strong and if you ever need to vent to me just come right over. I have lots of chocolate and Ice cream ready!
well . . . you are doing a great job. Your family is awesome
Christine, I found your blog from Kirstin. I have totally been missing out on a few good laughs. Not to say that I am laughing at you, but thanks for the laugh...your blog made my day. So sorry about work...hang in there!! And feel free to vent!!!!
Christine, I just want you to know I think you are wonderful and I love ya! It is Christmas Eve and I have been at work since 6:15 this morning and it is now after 4 pm and were are not done yet. You know last Saturday I pulled an all nighter, so I feel your pain. I had a melt down this morning when 4 cased add on to the scheduled 3. The water works started and the swearing began, but you know what it didn't change anything, I am still here. So I am practicing my breathing exercises now, and thinking about anything and everything except all that should be done before tomorrow morning.
Anyhoo, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and know that I think you are amazing! xoxoxoxoxo
Post a Comment