Thursday, January 31, 2008

One Of My Heros

Sunday night as Dave and I were headed home from Granny's house, Dave received a text message from Noel stating that the Prophet had passed away. I started to think how sad I was because I would miss him and I started to cry. Dave was a little choked up. Yet, we both had a little warmth in our hearts to think of the welcoming he got as he returned to his Father in Heaven.
I would have to say that President Gordon B. Hinckley has got to be one of my all time heros in my life. I remember when I was nine years old, after President Hunter passed away, they called President Hinckley to be the next Prophet. I loved him immediately. I wanted to follow everything he said to do. I wanted to try to be like him and make sure I was doing the right things in my life. That impression stayed with me as I grew up. I listened to him in junior high and high school and I continued to try to be the best I could be because I loved him. I knew he was truly a prophet and follower of Christ.

He is the prophet I grew up with. He helped me to know what I wanted in my life. A temple marriage, a family and to be a good member of the church. His outlook on life was awesome. He didn't preach...he taught. Other religions respected him because of that. He didn't judge anyone and he just told people to "stand a little taller". No matter what religion, that is good advice to take. We can all better our lives in some way so that we can make a greater impact on other people's lives.

I know that President Monson is going to be a great prophet because I know that this church is true, but nothing can replace Pres. Hinckley and the impact he has made in my life. I am grateful where my life has gone to because of him. I could've been a lot worse, and trust me, there were temptations in my life during my teen years that could've been destructive. The world could've had an easy grasp on me, but Hinckley's words and testimony kept me on my feet.

I am grateful to know that he is with his wife. He has lived a good life and he returned with honor!

1 comment:

LaRon said...

Christine,
I am so glad that you included some of your thoughts about President Hinckley. He is truly a man of God and makes most other famous people just dust in the wind. I also love him and thank him for all he taught you.