Friday, March 7, 2008

Carson's Great Grandpa Logan

To start my story, I thought I would go into a little history my Grandpas. My Grandma has been married 3 times. Her first husband's name was Burt Noorda. They had two kids, my uncles Steve and Rick. He went to WWII and died by jumping on a grenade, saving a bunch of people. Even though I never knew him, I still admire him and love that story. Then she married my grandpa, Burton "Bud" Unck. Together they had my dad and four other uncles of mine, Dave, Norm, John, and Glen. Seven boys! Then my Grandpa passed away due to heart conditions. Russell M. Nelson operated on his heart. I love listening to him speak at conference time knowing he was one of the many people who helped my Grandpa. Then, she met Kenneth Logan. He is the only Grandpa I have ever known. My mom's dad passed away when I was only 2, so I don't remember him at all. Grandpa Logan is from Pennsylvania. He is so smart! He always told me stories of his home growing up. He even wrote books about his life and they are all published and in hardback. I have always wanted to read them. Anyways, a few weeks ago my mom called me up and told me some bad news. My Grandpa was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and to top it off, they also diagnosed him with Alzheimer's disease as well.

The good news is that a couple of days ago, my mom called me up and said that Grandpa Logan's doctor said his MRI showed that he had a stroke, which has been causing dementia. He still has Parkinson's disease to a certain extent.

I am grateful that it isn't as horrible as we thought. When we went up there the last Sunday in February, he was really alert and he had lots of nice things to say about Carson. He has been a really fun Grandpa. We have gone on many trips to Moab with him and they were all a blast. He knows everything there is to know about Moab. He has taken us on many trails that I never knew existed before. He is 96 years old and still going strong. He has been an awesome Grandpa to our family for the past 27 years! We love Grandpa Logan!

1 comment:

Park Family said...

Make sure you write all that stuff down for Carson. I wish I knew more about my grandparents and that is awesome that he shared so much with you guys. Yes this blogging and scrapbooking thing has got me thinking my mom and dad need to do a little family history.