Today our family had a nice lazy day. We watched conference and after we went for a ride to visit some friends. We came home, and I was on the stairs going down to the apartment and I saw what I thought was a mouse. I freaked out started running back up while Dave and Carson were opening the apartment to rush inside. Of coarse Dave had no idea why I was freaking out. Finally I calmed down enough to say the word mouse. If all of you know Dave well enough, he gave me the famous "Park Look" as if he didn't believe me and he said, "whatever". He never believes anything I say anyways. I got the guts to run outside with the camera and zoom in on the little rodent in the back corner under the stairs. I snapped some shots and ran inside. When I showed Dave, he said, "that's not a mouse, it's a hamster." I immediately felt better about our little friend and suddenly became really worried for it. I kept taking Carson out to look at him and he was fascinated by it. He begged all day long to go outside in the cold and wet weather to see our friend. We even named it Albert for Albert Brenaman off of the movie Hitch.The next day I decided to fed it some cheese. (can you tell I've never had a hamster?) Jer and Ann told me to feed it cheerios, lettuce and carrots. I made him a little bowl of food and he downed it! I then felt bad that he was out in the cold, so I trapped him in a cardboard box and let him come inside. I wish I would've video taped my attempt to catch the thing! I was freaking out the whole time, but my worry for it overcame my fear and I finally got it into the box. I got it some water and food and he dug at the box the whole night. Monday morning Dave and I knew that if I didn't set the box outside, it would go through it and get into the apartment. We were right. I came home from work and Carson and I saw he had chewed a hole through the back of the box. That thing would've been roaming around the apartment if we didn't out it outside.
Finally, Tuesday after work Carson and I came home to find the back corner and the box totally empty. The hamster had moved on. Carson still goes out and looks for it every time we leave the house. He's so cute. I knows what a hamster is and hopefully he'll understand when he is older that we will never have a pet hamster!

3 comments:
That's so sweet that you took care of it. Too bad it didn't stay though. I bet there is some little kid who is missing his hamster a lot. Hopefully he'll be okay.
I had hamsters growing up, and now I am petrified of the little creatures. EEEEE too much like mice and RATS!!! You were very nice to take care of him.
hamster, mouse, they are all rats to me.
Post a Comment